If you are planning on running a website largely for Nepali visitors, on the long run you can save some domain cost by registering your, com.np domain from Mercantile. In order to be eligible to apply for the free domain you need to have a Nepalese citizenship certificate or basically you need to be a Nepali. As mentioned in Mercantile terms and conditions, the free domain service is aimed at encouraging individuals, businesses and organizations to have online presence.
Steps to get free .com.np domain from Mercantile Nepal:
1. Go to register.mos.com.np
2. Now enter the domain name and choose an appropriate suffix from the drop down list (Example- .biz.np, .com.np, .cool,np etc.). According to Mercantile TOS, the requested domain name must be:-
- An exact match, abbreviation or acronym of the registrant’s name of trademark; or
- Otherwise closely and substantially connected to the registrant.
3. If your domain is available begin your registration process by dragging your domain name to the right side into the domain basket
4. Fill in other details like Username and email. Click “Register”
5. Now you will receive an email from Mercantile subject “Hostmaster – NPccTLD Registration Services”. Click on the link on the email. Note that if you don’t check or click that link within 3 days, the domain registration will be cancelled.
6. Now you should see a new form where you will need to fill in your personal details. Like your Name and password to login your Mercantile domain account.
7. Now use your user and password to login to: register.mos.com.np
8. The login page will redirect to another form where you will need to fill out your administrative details (Name, address, admin email, admin phone, admin mobile number) or if its for your organization fill out company details (Org name, Org address, Org email, Org Phone, Org mobile). Click “Submit”
9. Now in the final form you need to upload a request letter (if you are a company you will need a request letter typed in the company’s official letter head) and a scanned copy of your Nepali Citizenship card (for organizations you will need a copy of the official registration certificate)
10. After the online registration is complete you will also need to drop the printed request letter (check sample below) attached with a photocopy of your citizenship certificate(or organization registration certificate) to the registration department of Mercantile office (Durbar Marg, Kathmandu).
11. Your application should be approved within few days. Then you can start using the domain name for your website.
Note: After getting your domain name approved you’ll also need to setup the nameservers for your .np domain. For this simply login to your hosting account (example- hostgator, bluehost) and check for the name servers (usually two) and copy those two server addresses. Now login to your .com.np domain account and paste those nameservers to link it to your hosting. Save the settings and now you are good to go. Go ahead and setup your awesome website from your hosting using your new “.np” domain.
Sample Request Letter for Mercantile for free .np domain
Mercantile Communications Pvt. Ltd.
I have registered online for my .np domain with all the details filled correctly and the necessary documents uploaded.
I request you to approve my domain name- www.yourdomain.com.np as soon as possible. Please find the photocopy of my citizenship attached with this application.
Thank you for your cooperation.